Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Awkward Stage

My pelican painting is progressing very well. It's passed the "awkward stage" which is always a relief to me. All my paintings reach a certain stage where they look hopeless, usually about halfway through the painting process. There is a point where I think I've ruined it, made such a mess of it I might as well throw it away and start over. When I first started painting that's what I did. There was one painting I threw away four times, but each time I thought of some way I might improve it and retrieved it from the recycle bin. Eventually I learned to trust the painting process and myself.

1 comment:

  1. This just has to be the most difficult phenomenon that artists experience and it's good to know I'm not alone! I agree that confidence gained through experience, and trust in the painting process will see us through. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete